I had the privilege of attending a very special Veteran's Day
ceremony at Summit Glen, where Dad lives. Here he is
with his "personal assistant", just before the program began. : )

The honorees all sat together in front.

A local High School ROTC group presented the colors

Each veteran who was receiving a medallion was called up,
"front and center". A bio of their service history was then
read.

I was able to present the medallion to my Dad.

They had a special vocalist who lead us in the National Anthem,
followed by the Pledge of Allegiance. There were musical
selections of "God Bless America", "You're A Grand Old Flag",
"Some Gave All", and the medley of service branch theme songs.
The ROTC also performed a flag folding ceremony, and we all
participated in an MIA/POW toast.

So proud of all these men & women who served our country
and risked their lives for our freedom...especially the handsome
Swede front and center. : ) When I was leaving, I thanked Dad
for his service to our country, and he said, "I'd do it all over again".
3 comments:
How special - wish we could have been there too. I teared up hearing Grandpa's response that he'd do it all over again. What a neat way for Summit Glen to honor the people who have served our country.
This made me tear up. What a sweet service-- I'm sure it meant a lot to Grandpa. I called and left a message on his recorder (I'm hoping he can understand parts of it because I know he has a hard time hearing my high-pitch voice, haha). Love you guys!
Thanks for calling him, Juli! It means a lot to him. Love you, too!
Post a Comment