Saturday, July 24, 2010

MY MOM

Virginia Erickson: May 31, 1921-June 26, 2010 Since our family's world was turned upside down 1 month ago today, I have not had the motivation to post blogs, even though there have been many meaningful memories in the past month. I will re-enter the blog world today, beginning with my tribute to my mom, which I read at her memorial service. My Mom My mom found three things of utmost importance. First of all, she loved God. My mom began to walk with God many years ago, holding on to him faithfully throughout the ups and downs of life. When I was 6 years old, it was my mom who prayed with me to accept Jesus into my life. My mom loved the church, the community of believers. She also love missions, working many years for a missions' agency as well as joyfully praying for and supporting various missionaries. Mom loved God's words as well. I'm so thankful to have been raised to love and appreciate the unspeakable riches of the Bible. My mom's faith even now upholds me, knowing she is with the Lord she loved and served for so many years. Great comfort and peace is ours today because she loved God. We grieve her loss, but not as the world grieves. Second, my mom loved her family. Mom never tired of hearing me ramble on and on about our kids, both when they were children and recently as they began to lead lives of their own. When I finished rambling on and on, she would tell me the latest news she had heard from Jim and Anita and their kids. My mom loved family. I never doubted that she loved dad--her husband of 64 years--her children, her grandchildren, and her 4 precious great grandchildren. When mom went shopping, it was almost always for her family, not for herself. And mom's concept of family always extended beyond her immediate family. I remember how she took time to call, write, and visit her extended family, both on her side and on dad’s side. My own cousin Tisha even traveled from out-of-state because of the connection she felt for my mom. The other day, I cried on the phone with one of my mom’s own cousins. She happily recalled their life-long relationship, remembering even those years long ago when they used to “climb trees together”. And, thirdly, Mom loved her friends. Who gets 50 cards for their birthday?? My mom did. Why? Well, because she sent cards, faithfully remembering the birthdays and other joyful occasions of her many friends. Hallmark owes her a percentage of their company; she certainly helped keep them in business over the years. My daughter Noelle and I actually found ourselves privileged to inform friends and relatives of mom's death. Though trying to communicate with all her friends and acquaintances was daunting at times, it was a privilege for us to hear and be blessed by all their comments about my mom. Now, I find myself wanting to pick up the phone and call her, to ramble on some more about family and friends and life. I can't even imagine the huge void that will be there in the future when family and friends come together and mom is not there. We will miss her very much. Yet, God has given us rich blessings, not only through mom’s life, but even in her death. She didn’t have to suffer…God took her quickly. And in her last hours, every member of her immediate family talked to her, either in person or by phone. I'm sure that’s exactly what mom would’ve wanted--though she might have wished to speak to all her extended family and to all her friends, reminding them, as her life so eloquently taught me...to love God, to love family, and to celebrate friends.

4 comments:

Corneliu and Natalie Muresan said...

Welcome back mom in blogs world

Noelle said...

Miss her...

Harvey Globetrotters said...

thank you for sharing, I know it was difficult to write. We miss her greatly. The three highlights of who grandma was are aspects we cherish in memories and motivation for our own lives now.

C Blasdel said...

that was beautiful Bonnie